Maya's Adoption Story

Thursday, August 31, 2006

Here's our girl!


Lots of paperwork to adopt a baby in China


Just before we met Maya


Maya meets her forever mommy




I see some teeth!


Mommy gets some quality time


Daddy's little girl

There are very few words in the English language that would describe the level of emotion we experienced today. From the time I awoke at 6:00 AM until an orphanage nanny placed Maya into Lori's arms at 3:08 PM there was so much adrenalin running through my body it felt like electricity.

15 couples, some with children, all piled into a bus in 100 degree heat to drive to the Changsha Social Welfare Institue to meet their new children for the first time. There were 16 babies ages from 9 months to 3.5 years being adopted. Everyone was in their own zone but the level of anticipation on that bus was off the charts.

After a short drive we arrived at a very plain looking old three story brick building, drove through some iron gates and we were there. We knew that our babies were already somewhere inside waiting for us. They herded us into a small hot room where we all pulled out cameras and waited.

I can only describe the next scene as somewhat chaotic. They began calling out names one by one. "Strong" came first. Our friends Brad and Kristy came forward, showed their passports to the orphanage director and were handed their beautiful twin daughters. I don't think there was a dry eye in the house after that.

Then came the rest, one by one. Finally I heard someone say "Xiao Jiao", and we saw our little girl for the first time. I will never forget this moment for the rest of my life. Maya looked just like her photo - except shrunk down three sizes. I knew she was small, but she is TINY!! Immediately, the orphanage director lifted up her split pants and showed us that Xiao Jiao has a pretty terrible case of diaper rash (for the uninitiated, split pants have a slot in the back side to allow the baby to poop and pee - diapers are expensive and very labor intensive to use so orphanages in China use split pants and try to potty train the kids very early). So while Lori held Maya for the first time, the orphanage director pulled me aside with a translator to tell us all about her symptoms and what medicines she was receiving. This was initially somewhat concerning to me with the way they were presenting it. It turns out that besides the diaper rash, she also has a head cold - she is sniffling and sneezing - and some sort of skin condition - maybe a small rash. They seemed very apologetic about her condition even though it seems like nothing to worry about. After inspecting her, we weren't too concerned about it and we told them so. We are fortunate to have a doctor and his wife in our group adopting their third daughter from China, so he will try to take a look at Maya tomorrow.

Maya is an amazing little girl! We got her back to the hotel, and just plopped her on the bed to take a quick inventory. Other than being very tiny (she barely fits into 3-6 month olds clothes although she is almost 10 months) she is a very bright, curious, and happy baby. Even though she went through this tramatic event (for the third time in her brief life) and she had all these ailments, we already received some hearty smiles and at least one healthy belly laugh after playing with her for a few hours. Reportedly all the girls from Hunan are "hot and spicy" and we saw a little of that side too! We're in for quite a ride!!

We'll post some more pics in the next few days and maybe even a video or two. The pics take a long time to upload here in the biz center and I haven't had time to troubleshoot why Lori's Mac won't recognize the hotel's network (I just know I'm going to take all kinds of flack from my co-workers on that one! :-). We picked a few of the best pictures to give you something to hold you over another day, enjoy!

Tomorrow is very special, it's Maya's adoption day. We will officially become parents to our Maya at approximately 9:30 AM (7:30 PM - Thursday - Colorado time). We love and miss you all and can't wait to bring Maya home!

Good night for now.

22 Comments:

  • Yeah!
    She is absolutely gorgeous! I can't believe the beautiful smiles..after all she has been through. She is just amazing.
    We love you guys and will be checking in often. We can't wait to meet her in person. As you've probably already learned just 1 smile wipes all those "Hot & Spicy" moments right away!
    Maya you are so lucky to have such loving parents and Congratulations Mom & Dad,
    Jenn, Jeff & Kellyn

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:14 AM  

  • She's a stunner. It is so wonderful to see pictures of you with her - it warms my heart and turns on the waterworks at the same time. You're parents!!! It looks great on you. :)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:22 AM  

  • Congratulations! She is very beautiful and happy. There are no dry eyes here, seeing the 3 of you together. We can't wait until you all get home.

    Love,
    Bill and Chris

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:48 AM  

  • Yeah!!!!!!! What a Peanut! She looks way more mature than her pictures from before. We must admit that there is not a dry eye in the house. Martha, Ellen, Mireya and I all opened the page together. We are all so happy for the two of you. You both look well rested which I am sure won't last long. Hopefully she won't be too grumpy with all her ailments! Can't wait for more pictures! Ellen says Vincent was up EARLY this morning asking about Maya because he remembered today is the day! Love you both! Whitney, Martha, Ellen, Juan, Mireya, Brittany and Cecelia!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:51 AM  

  • Happy tears on this side too!
    I woke in the middle of the night (1:30) and started wondering if you were meeting Maya yet, but patiently waited until "morning" to dial up, and wow, what a wonderful gift to see you both with your smiling beautiful little daughter. I want to hug you all.
    I'm sending the bursting love in my heart to you three---- and the joy!
    It is now I wish I had high speed and not dial up --- I do not get to see videos. But boy oh boy can I ever see the pics. Hi Maya, I'm your Nana and I adore you.
    Love, Mom
    (Nai Nai)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:59 AM  

  • At last!!! Maya is beautiful. I'm so happy for you, it is hard to put into words. Get some sleep and enjoy. We're all thinking of you with love. Lynn and Claire

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:52 AM  

  • She is beautiful but good things come in small packages.
    Mom stayed up until about 3 Am and said now she knows how an expectant father feels.
    I got up at 5 checked my mail but no news . I know you two will be very happy with your addition to the family. We are all excited to see Maya soon.
    Don't drink any more good coffee. Get some sleep.
    Give her a hug and kiss for us.
    LOve Mom and Dad

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:13 AM  

  • Aunt Madie asked me to let you know that she stayed up until 3:10am looking for a posting, they checked 2x this morning and finally Bill called to let her know the post was up! Uncle Bill was at work so Linda came over and she finally saw Maya's picture! She is so excited she is still in her PJ's and it's almost 12pm :-)She can't wait until she comes home to meet her in person. Hugs & Kisses to the Maya and keep the pictures coming!
    Love, Nana (via Jenn)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:34 AM  

  • Yeay! Oh my gosh, can I be in love with her too? I was on the phone with my sister in San Diego while pulling up Maya's blog (for the 4th time)and Bill walked in. I pointed at the screen with the cell phone to my ear, my sister speaking to me about I don't know what and Bill said, "Oh my god,look at that smile!":)

    I was just now holding Fritzna and she's mad at me because I clicked off of Maya's photo to type this!! Our little girls can both be 'SPICY' and I can't wait to see them do it together!!

    Lori, John, you are both beaming...this was SO meant to be. She is perfect and fits in with the two of you like a missing piece of puzzle. Hmm, okay, I really did mean what I said, but i just realized that it's one of our card ideas! Gotta do it now for sure because it is just perfect. ;)

    Ah, I now have warm fuzzies to make it through the day. Thank you for taking the time to share yourselves with all of us.

    We love you Haug family,
    The Webster Fam

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:55 AM  

  • I am SO excited. Thank you for sharing all of this with us and making us a part of your amazing experience. I've just got the happiest tears ever leaking out over here in Boulder.

    Love, Jen (can't wait to meet her!)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:52 PM  

  • We went on the swing for a little bit. Then I made a road with my arm to flatten it out. Then I went over to Marisa and talked to her and then I went on the swing again. Then I went over to eat my cheese puffs, two fell on the ground, but I just left them there for the birds. Then we went to Burger King! I got two toys, french fries, chx and Sprite.
    Now I'm home with my Mom looking at the pictures of Maya. Lori, John, Maya, hope you have a safe trip home with your baby.
    Love, Vincent

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:36 PM  

  • What a beautiful smile! Many congratulations to your family.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:24 PM  

  • Lori and John,
    PERFECT!!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh, what a beautiful smile.. I can't wait to hold your bundle of joy. She is everything you have been waiting for, I see it in both of your eyes, your world is complete. We can't wait to share the joy with you both and Maya. Looking forward to seeing more of her, thanks for sharing this with all who care so much. Enjoy your time in China, by now her adoption should be complete!!! Maya Haug you have been Blessed! Congratulations, Mark, Colleen, Eric, James, and Elizabeth Mecseji

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:00 PM  

  • Happy Adoption Day, Maya!

    We love you and can't wait to see you. You already know this, but just wanted to tell you that you are SOOOO lucky to have such a fun mommy and daddy who love you SOOOOO much!! They have been waiting FOREVER for you and are SOOOO happy that you are their pretty little girl. You are the answer to their prayers and such a gift to the world. Thank you for being YOU, Beautiful Girl!

    Renmen ou, Maya ~
    The Webster Family
    (Your friends across the street)

    p.s. Fritzna is jumping up and down at the thought of playing with you!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:14 PM  

  • We love and miss you so very much.....we can't wait to meet our unbelievable, beautiful new niece. The joy and love that beams from your hearts makes us beam as well. May God grant the three of you safety and peace on your journey home.......Love,
    Mark and Francine

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:13 PM  

  • Thank you for letting us be a part of your joy. You are a beautiful family! Our hearts are full out here in Arizona. Lots of love, Felicia and Jon

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:20 AM  

  • Dear Lori, John and little precious Maya,
    We are so happy for you! Every speepless night and long days filled with the anxiety of unknown future worth the beautiful smiles on your faces. We can't wait to have you guys home and give you a big hearty hug. Love, Inna, Roger and Pauline.
    PS. Our dry Colorado climate will "fix" that diper rash!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:39 PM  

  • How beautiful !!
    I am thrilled for your family. Savor your time in China. It is an amazing adventure.

    By Blogger Mom 2 six, at 9:02 PM  

  • Today I can't help myself and must have looked at Maya ten times. As I enlarge the photos I notice her holding a toothbrush. Is she brushing her teeth? I have so many questions, and can't wait to hear more. I know you all must be busy, back when my children were infants I was lucky to get a shower! Please send more photos when you get a chance. Miss you, Colleen

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:36 PM  

  • Mr. and Mrs. Haug ~

    Uh, waiting for new pics and daily "this and that's" guys!! Just kiddin'!! :) Maybe I should only speak for myself, but as you know, all of us who are writing to you are obsessive about looking at Maya's blog and checking it numerous times throughout the day! We need our Maya "fix"...

    Dawn

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:16 PM  

  • No, Dawn you do not just speak for yourself. We also say ditto to your request.
    Hey John and Lori, all we need is a sentence or two or one picture every day or two.

    Love,Marilyn/Mom/Nana

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:20 PM  

  • Morning Haug Family ~

    Whatcha' doin' today? Let us travel "with you" and "see" what you're seein'! :)

    Love you Maya, have a fun day with Mama and Papa!

    lotsa smooches,
    Dawn

    9:05 AM

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home