Maya's Adoption Story

Tuesday, October 11, 2005

Parenting 101

I've never understood why Parenting101 is not a general class required in college. I mean how many of us will actually use calculus equations in real life? Important tips on proper diapering techniques however could prevent a massive poop catastrophe! I ask you....."which is more important information?"

Recently the diaper conversation came up at our house. First the discussion was disposable or cloth? Ok please don't send us hate mail but we're going with disposable. After that exhaustive decision which took about 2 mintutes, John decided he could not handle more discussion about diapers. I however pushed the issue and had to get a disposable diaper sample which I had purchased earlier to show him. I wanted to educate my man on the many features of the disposable diaper. He reluctantly took it out of my hands and quickly sniffed it. THAT IS SUCH A MAN THING!!!!!! All quality control by men is done simply by the sniff test. Lets hope he doesn't forget and do this with a poop filled diaper. On second thought that could provide some good humor. Anyway, based on the sniff test John said, "this brand diaper is fine."

The next day our friend Jennifer came over to drop of some wonderful clothes for Maya. While she was here I thought I should perhaps pick her brain about which disposable diaper is the best. As John would say I "have to beat that dead horse one more time." Doesn't he know by now that no discussion is ever final! Things must be discussed over and over just to make sure every angle has been covered. Anway, Jennifer provided her expert advice (Luvs) and even offered a demonstration. I quickly grabbed Maya's first stuffed animal given by my neice. It is a toddler sized stuffed rabbit. Jennifer provided invaluable information on diapering such as making sure the diaper is high on the back to prevent back explosions as well as making sure the tabs meet in the middle, or as close as you can get them. John's mind started to wander during this all important topic but Jennifer firmly said "John, this is important!" John reengaged and completed topic one of Parenting101......Thank you Jennifer.

I also have to give John kudos for his own self taught studies. On our anniversary he bought a baby carrier. Last week I came home and noticed the carrier laying on our guest bed with bunny inside. I giggled to myself and asked him about it. He said he wanted to try the carrier out. Well aside from the bunny weighing absolutely nothing, the giant ears, and it's lack of movement.......it's exactly like a baby! I wish I could have seen him walking around the house with stuffed bunny strapped to his chest. What a turn on!!!!!!!!! Let face it all women love it when men show their sensitive side. Maybe I could persuade him to pose for a picture. My only suggestion is maybe next time he might want to use our dog Skeeter instead. At least he would provide some weight and squirming which would be a little more realistic to holding a baby. Anyway....hats off to my dear hubby.

Tomorrow perhaps we'll move on to selecting the perfect bottle nipple. Can't wait to see where that one takes us!

Lori